Who’s who in vocational education

Regulator: the regulator is the national body responsible for licensing awarding bodies. In Scotland this is SQA Accreditation and in England it is Ofqual.

Awarding bodies: are licensed by the national regulator to be an awarding body. QFI is an awarding body with specific focus on extractives, civil engineering, construction and the built environment industries.

Training providers: can deliver training to learners leading to a range of approved QFI qualifications.

Assessment centres: can be private training providers, in-house training departments, colleges of further education, or in some cases schools, who apply to deliver QFI qualifications. Some assessment centres are completely separate from the training provider.